Monday, June 11, 2007

Doing it Spacey-style


It's sometimes hard for me to wrap my mind around the idea that people actually read this blog, so the "Thinking Blogger Award" given to me by John from The Last Visible Blog (along with some very kind words) is extremely encouraging. While I'm not much for memes in general, it seems like it would be extremely bad karma not to pass this along, so below are links to five blogs that are well worth your time. But first, the rules:

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think.

2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme.

3. Optional: Proudly display the ‘Thinking Blogger Award’ with a link to the post that you wrote.

Please note that any of the blogs linked to the right fully deserve this award, but the rules say five, so there it is.

Film Experience Blog - I've always been dismissive of celeb-obsessed film writing, but Nathaniel at The Film Experience changed that for me. Nathaniel's blog is a witty marriage of serious film discussion and star commentary that reminds of Entertainment Weekly back when it was actually fun to read. Plus, he's made me see Michelle Pfeiffer in a whole new light.
Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule - Dennis Cozzalio's blog is an fun, eclectic appreciation of cinema history and culture high and low (recent posts have covered both Amarcord and Hostel: Part II). Plus, his quarterly movie quizzes are not only thought-provoking, they're a blast to write and share.

Silly Hats Only - The home base for Paul Clark (whose writing can also be found over at Screengrab), a cinephile that is, unbelievably enough, as dedicated to lists, awards, and generally applying arbitrary mathematical formulas to film appreciation as I am. This is encouraging.

Nihon Musings - I know little about anime, so every one of Doug's posts on his favorite subject is extremely educational. He's the rare anime aficionado that can write seriously about the medium without leaving us non-otaku in the dust (he's also a damn good friend).

You Struck Me Dumb Like Radium - Obvious bias here, but I'm not just bragging about Jess because she's my wife; she's my wife because she's so worth bragging about. Her movie reviews are sharper and more insightful than mine could ever be, her poetry is achingly beautiful, and she can push out a baby in record time (not strictly relevant, but it was pretty fucking impressive). She doesn't write nearly enough, so bug her about this fact - the world needs more Jessica.

5 comments:

Paul C. said...

Wa-hey! Thanks, man! I'm not sure how posting pictures of Romola Garai and Haverchuck from Freaks and Geeks equates with deep thinking, but hey, I'll take it. Thanks again.

Dennis Cozzalio said...

Mr. B., thanks so much for inclusion among such fine company in this "Thinking Bloggers" club! Sometimes when I write it feels like the last thing I'm doing is thinking, but I appreciate the honor nonetheless! And thanks for the shout-out on the movie quizzes-- the round-up of last spring's best answers AND a new summer quiz are all compiled and at the ready. Look for it soon!

Now to my own list of five, and considering the great blogs I've managed to collect on my blogroll, coming up with five will be a lot easier than whittling down from, say 35!

Anonymous said...

The tag means alot. Thanks.
Expect to see a reciprication soon.

Andrew Bemis said...

You're all too modest. You make me think. Deal with it.

NATHANIEL R said...

ohhh thanks. this is my second one. i guess i should respond