Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Trim Bin #37


- A quick reminder: The Gauntlet begins tomorrow. Ready the cannons.

- I'm not a huge fan of In the Bedroom, but after seeing the trailer for Little Children, the second feature from director Todd Field (aka Nick Nightingale), I can't wait. Field's adaptation of a Tom Perotta novel is set up in two minutes of quiet, fragmented, haunting images. This sort of thing is hard to do well, and it's done brilliantly here, hinting at unspoken menace; I hope the film lives up to it (that it stars Kate Winslet and Jennifer Connelly couldn't hurt).

- And here's the trailer for Shortbus, John Cameron Mitchell's sex film that I mentioned a while back. It's candy-colored and cheeky, and it looks like way more fun than Nine Songs.

- A must-read: Walter Chaw brilliantly demolishes Fried Green Tomatoes.

- Finally, a tip of the hat to Joseph Stefano, screenwriter of Psycho, who died last week at the age of 84:

"It is sad when a mother has to speak the words that condemn her own son. I can't allow them to think I would commit murder. Put him away now as I should have years ago. He was always bad and in the end he intended to tell them I killed those girls and that man, as if I could do anything but just sit and stare like one of his stuffed birds. They know I can't move a finger and I want to just sit here and be quiet just in case they suspect me. They're probably watching me. Well, let them. Let them see what kind of a person I am. I'm not even going to swat that fly. I hope they are watching... they'll see. They'll see and they'll know, and they'll say, 'Why, she wouldn't even harm a fly...'"


Films watched this week:

Scoop 4
Rushmore 10
The Untouchables 9
Wayne's World 6
Singles
8
Heathers
10
Little Miss Sunshine
9
Reservoir Dogs
10
Taxi Driver
10
Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht
10
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
9

No comments: